Nov 13, 2009

Praying the Scriptures for your Children

"Praying the Scriptures For Your Children" by Jodie Berndt.


I was given this book from a godly woman in our church as a shower gift when Niyah was born. I have thouroughly been blessed as I read and pray the Scriptures over her. The best time that has worked for us is right after she eats and as she sits in my lap in this chair. I will read the chapter out loud to a very attentive, content, full baby girl and then pray the Scriptures over her at the end of the chapter.


So far it has been a very moving, humbling, and encouraging time for me (and her...although she doesn't know it yet!)

I thought I would share a few prayers from each chapter over the next couple weeks to encourage other mom's to pray for their own children.

As mom's, the Bible gives support over and over again for us to be people who pray as God says, "Ask of me, and I will..." and "If my people...will humble themselves and pray,...then will I..." and "Ask and it will be given to you." And in John, "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given to you."

God desires us to humble ourselves and pray. And to pray Biblically...by praying the Scriptures. Jeremiah 1:12 says, "I am alert and active, watching over My word to perform it." And in Isaiah 55:11 "My word...will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." The author of Hebrews states, "the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]." So let us gather and be woman, wife's, mother's who pray diligently for our children.

Praying for Your Child's Salvation
Principle: When you pray for your children's salvation you can be confident you are praying in accordance with God's will.

Heavenly Father...

Remove the veil from _____ 's eyes so that she can see the light of the gospel. Shine Your light in her heart to give her the light of the knowledge of Your glory in the face of Christ. 2 Corinthians 4:4-6

Put a new spirit in _____. Remove her heart of stone and give her a heart of flesh. Cause _____ to follow your decrees and keep Your laws. Let her know that she belongs to You, and that You are her God. Ezekiel 11:19

Count_____ as one of Your people, and be her God. Give her a singleness of heart and action, so that she will always fear You for her own good and for the good of her children. Make an everlasting covenant with _____. Never stop doing good to her, and inspire her to fear You so that she will never turn away from You. Jeremiah 32: 39-40

I pray that ____, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses all understanding, that ____ may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:18-19

I pray that ____ would put her trust in You and never be shaken. Psalm 125:1

Amen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tarah, Thank You so much for sharing this encouragement. It's so true... prayer is an act of faith, it is an acknowledging the Lord as the Sovereign One, the Creator that He is. I am reminded that He calls me to be a woman who prays. Your family is so dear. God bless you,
trevor, paige, and piper