Jan 19, 2010

Sin and the Power of the Gospel: Part 2

....Why I need the gospel of Jesus Christ.....

I need the truth of the gospel to penetrate my innermost heart to reveal the sinfulness within me and to then sweep across my self-righteous heart to humble, cleanse, and refine. I, like Newton can affirm, "I am a great sinner, but Christ is a great savior."

The gospel in my life causes...

* ...a pure remedy for my sins as it uncovers the rough ground in my heart so that I can actually recognize the sin!

* ... a prepared soil in my heart so that I can face sin; it then allows the Holy Spirit to bring deep conviction and thus I can feel guilty because I truly am guilty.

* ...an acknowledgment of sin. And with the depth acknowledgment I am able to better grasp the sweet truth of God's forgiveness through His Son,Jesus Christ. "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin" (Romans 4:7-8).

*...the strength and encouragement so that I can endure the fight against sin. I cannot merely face sin and simply know it's pursuing me; I must fight and kill it in the name of Jesus Christ. "For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace." (Romans 6:14) And "For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live." (Romans 8:13)

*...the ability to suffer well. "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us" (Rom 5:3-5). "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us" (Rom. 8:18).

*....complete hope! "Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, my salvation and my God" (Ps. 43:5). "Christ in you, the hope of glory" (Col. 1:27). Rejoice in hope of the glory of God..." (Rom.5:2. "According to His great mercy, He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading..." (1 Peter 1:2-3).

*...complete joy! "Then I will go to the alter of God, to God my exceeding joy" (Ps. 43:4)


The gospel of Jesus Christ is absolutely remarkable. I could go on, and on, and on with Scripture references on the redemptive plan and purpose of The Gospel. I am thankful I have a lifetime to bask in the promises of this gospel and be changed into greater likeness of Christ as I preach It to myself and child(ren) daily.

No comments: