Oct 3, 2010

Driving Home


The other day I was driving home and for whatever reason the thought popped into my head, "Today was another day I died a little bit more". My mind kept lingering on the thought and this is what came out of it...

I began to think, "From the moment of conception we are closer to dieing. I've told myself before, 'wouldn't it be a sweet gift to find out when you would die such as being diagnosed with a fatal illness, or being in a car-accident with only weeks to live etc. Because you could, in a sense, prepare to die. I would live those last days differently .' I would do more of the Lord's work. I would profess the Lord's goodness more. I would tell of the gospel of Christ to....well everyone!

But as I drove up the maple-tree-lined street and pulled into my driveway on this particular day I thought to myself, "I do know that I am dieing. I just died a little more today. More of my body's cells gave in to death and my aging bones are weakened just a bit more today. So what could I be doing differently right now in the moments of my life to live as though I am dieing. Kind of strange I know. But this is what I thought. Shame on me for not actively living in such a way as to display the gospel ALL the time. After all, I am a Christian or am I.... what really does it mean to be a Christian. How am I living in such a way that displays to the world around me that I an not merely a 'good person' but rather a follower of the perfect Person, the Savior of my soul."

My mind raced to the content of the gospel and how I am no longer my own, but rather a daughter of The King, a slave to Christ. My heart beat a little faster as I preached the truths of the gospel to myself and prayed that I would be a mother who would faithfully teach my children of the truth's of the gospel so that when the last breath I take here on earth is breathed my husband and my children would grieve in such a way that has hope in the God that I served all of my days.

As I write this now, tears come to my eyes knowing how deeply I need the Lord's grace to make my life worthy of the gospel of Christ. If I die this night, I don't think such words would be said of me. I pray I would not forsake the gospel by neglecting the truth that God gives my every breath and He numbers my days. We are born for a specific purpose; to glorify God. And He will have it so. He will complete the good work in us which He began. He will call all His children to Himself for His good pleasure and for the glory of His kingdom.

Oh Father, thank you for raising Christ from the dead so that those who believe in Him may too be raised from the grave and into His righteousness. I am identified with Christ's death and resurrection. Death where is your sting? For I am a daughter of the King. I will live differently.

" He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross." Col 1:18

So that was my thought driving home... now time to unload groceries.

No comments: